Friday, November 21, 2008

Fun(nel)

Today’s focus is an oft-maligned and misunderstood item: the funnel neck. Give it a chance, darlings! Exaggerated necklines were ever-so-prevalent on the runways, ranging from outlandish (Margiela) to demure (Calvin Klein). Think about a cowl or draped turtleneck this season; maybe even snap up a funnel-neck coat!
On the runways: Photos via style.com except where noted.
At right: Chanel Couture
Custo Barcelona. This and next 2 via nymag.com
Luisa Beccaria
Giambattista Valli
J. Mendel
Marc by Marc Jacobs – see shopping section below; this fab frock is available at net-a-porter.com!
Antonio Berardi
6267 (at right)
Jean Paul Gaultier, via nymag.com
Michel Klein, courtesy Paris Vogue
Louis Vuitton
Michael Kors
Moschino
Martin Margiela
Pollini; this and next via nymag.com
Paul Costelloe
Calvin Klein’s portrait collar is an alternative, for those who daren’t brave the funnel...
In the shops:
Manoush wool padded funnel neck jacket.
Go to net-a-porter.com for this and next.
McQ gray oversize cowl sweater
Twinkle Short & Sweet Fair Isle crop sweater, at right. This and next 2 at shopbop.com.
Thakoon herringbone pullover, at left.
Generra wide stripe cowl neck sweater, at right.
M Missoni cowl neck sweater, at the Intermix, New York.
Deal of the Day: ASOS funnel neck wool cape $45, at asos.com.
Elizabeth and James Scarlet dress, at Neiman Marcus.
Helmut Lang slouchy turtleneck dress, at shopbop.com.
Lorick marine tweed belted cocktail dress, at chickdowntown.com. CC loves!
Stella McCartney purple cowl neck dress, at right. This and next two at net-a-porter.com.
Vivienne Westwood Anglomania Fichu frock.
Marc by Marc Jacobs tweed Bramble dress with zippered pockets.
Vero Moda printed cowl neck dress, at asos.com.
Bebe sequin cowl neck dress. Visit bebe.com.

Will YOU stick your neck out for this trend?

32 comments:

Make Do Style said...

Oh I love a funnel neck and am coveting Marc Jacobs dress!

S (formerly of Modern-Guilt) said...

I'm really loving this look, particularly the Berardi piece!

Penny said...

i do think the funnel neck is an interesting shape, but i'm not sure if they would work on me as i have broad shoulders. it might make them look huge!!

Susanna-Cole King said...

I like the look of the funnel neck very much, but if I try to wear something with a neck such as, if the neck is really tight, I can never stand it for long, it bothers me to have stuff around my neck like that, but I wish it didn't! ;)

xoxo,
S-C

MISS GLITZY said...

Funnel neck can be really elegant if it's not exaggerated.

WendyB said...

The zebra stripes are fantastic!

La Belette Rouge said...

I don't feel good in a funnel neck. I like it on others. Actually I love it on others. So would you all start wearing this fun(nel) look!

MakeupByRenRen said...

so couture! i personally have claustrophobia issues when it comes to things around my neck though lol

Diana y Paula said...

Muchas gracias! Y a nosotras nuestras tu blog, seguimos siempre tus actualizaciones.
xo.

Sharon S said...

Hi there-I prefer the cowl necks you've shown, not too overkeen on the structured funnels for me though! Have a lovely weekend!

Lisa said...

Haha I already am! I'm actually wearing a purple sweater-dress with a cowl neck and a tie at the waist which looks very similar to the Stella McCartney number you featured--minus the slight puff in the sleeves, though. Great post, as always.

Guapóloga said...

One of my favorite trends! I feel it's like an accesory included in the dress, swetear or coat.

Besitos desde el frío bostoniano!

Simone

Seeker said...

I think this is a great detail if not exagerated.
Thanks for all the pictures you showed, beauty.

xoxo

Miss Cavendish said...

Many of these are indeed fun and chic!

Anonymous said...

i like the funnel neck!
all the looks are so interesting...
:)

Unknown said...

I'm gonna die over than camel fur coat! delish

{Tara} said...

For some reason, to me, funnel necks are the epitome of chic and cool. The way they frame your face is so flattering! These are all gorgeous!

i.d. said...

I love the idea of a funnel neck coat! :)

K.Line said...

I love the funnel neck - and its more conservative sister the cow!

Bombchell said...

gosh i never know how to wear funnels. lol i called them all turtle necks or cowleg or something similar lol.

i love the one liya kebede is wearing.

Fashion Moment said...

Great trend, and great post. Love J. Mendel... :)

FM

Lissa said...

I love the MJ and Moschino looks--so timeless!

Tricia said...

i adore this look, and love the J. Mendel and Marc jacobs, but bow to the master, Margiela! That shit is crazy fabulous.

Mel said...

beautiful pics even though i'm not a huge fan of the cowl-neck! xx

Annie Spandex said...

That herringbone sweater is awesome!

Songy said...

I always loved funnel neck. Cozy and cute. Great for cooler months.

Carla said...

I would love to be able to wear this look, i have tried it a hundred times but I think it is my combo of shoulders and neck length. Doesn't work. Love your pics..wish I could wear the Berardi. Carla

Elle symptomatique said...

funnel neck is absoloutely amazing!!!! if it bothers, then bear it!! u like it, u'll stand it!
xoxo

ivoreece said...

I love this trend!
Thank you for those pics!

Siljesfashion said...

Love the Vero Moda one, so fun!

STYLE DU MONDE said...

Love it! Cool post as always, CC!

xx

thenebulosegirl said...

love the looks! :D